Read My Apple Tree Story here.



Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Our Church's Altar

Almost exactly 4 years ago we had our sweet daughter Baptized. Conincidentally I was asked to write the cover of "The Steeple," our weekly church bulletin. It happened to be printed on the very day that we gave our child over to God, promising to pray for her, alongside my incredible church family, and to raise her to love our Lord, knowing that she belongs to HIM.

This is what I wrote ...

Have you ever thought about our church’s altar? Many incredible events take place here. The altar at First United Methodist Church holds a very special place in my heart. It is where my roots lie. Thirty years ago, my parents were married here. As infants, my brother and I were baptized here. I received my first Bible, was confirmed into this church as a sixth-grader, and sang in the children’s choir at this altar. I have spent many Sundays praying, confessing my faith, asking for forgiveness, and spending time with the Lord here at our altar. It is a very safe and comfortable place for me. Three and a half years ago, my husband, Jason, and I walked down the same aisle to be united in marriage together, and soon my brother will as well. Now, as we prepare to have our first child baptized at that same very special place, I am reminded of how meaningful First Church is to me.

1 Samuel 1:27 reads, “For this child I have prayed.” My daughter is such a blessing to us and she was prayed for since I was just a little girl at my church’s altar. Once we learned of our exciting news of becoming parents, I continued to pray not only for a safe delivery of a healthy baby, but also for our child to have a deep yearning to follow Jesus. To have her baptized at such a special place where so many amazing and meaningful events took place for me is truly a gift. Baptism is one of God’s many gifts to us, and my church is such a gift to me and my family.

It is only through God’s love and grace that I am able to stand at our church’s altar and receive His love, and what a perfect place to do it, with the ones I love, at First United Methodist Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.shareasale.com/u.cfm?d=82480&m=27397&u=447388

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails